Friday, May 16, 2008

Music...my home sweet home!

So it is right now 2:31 AM and i just got back from one of the bars in town where Tiffany and I went to go and see a few bands play! It was a really great show! It was at a very small venue, but a great atmosphere to be in! Plus, Tiffany (who speaks French unlike me! :-P) read on the front window that on Wednesday and Thursday nights, this place has an open mike night!! Exactly what I've been thinking about doing! How perfect! So I'm gonna be looking into that in the next few days and see how I can incoporate those open mike nights into my summer plans.

I have decided that musicians are the same all over! I went to a music store near my house...walked in saw all the instruments, the books....and the guy with long hair flowing over his shoulders who worked in...where else...the guitar section of the store! The guys tonight...definitly a child of the 80s...long hair in a ponytail...but MAN can he play guitar! His riffs were SOOO incredibly fast! GEEZ! The Bass players in the bands were Obviously the relaxed goof balls of the group! The first band that played, their bass player was really good, and he rocked back and forth as he played with a big smile on his face! :-) Anyone at the WG want to guess who he reminded me of? (If David Brandon doesn't not read my blog...someone tell him to look it up!)

Anyway, I felt kind of awkward at first, cause there weren't many people there and I wasn't with the band :-), but as the music started and I saw the love that these people had for their art, I felt right at home! Right there in the Dan Racing bar. It was encouraging to see people who could actually play the guitar, but just to hear the music, and relize its not all that different from American music (although I must admit it was a little strange hearing the guy sing...and almost yell the rock song...in French?).

This is the second concert I've been able to go to since I've been here and I really enjoyed it! I am hoping that this summer will be filled with many opportunities to go to concerts and explore the life of the clubs and bars that I haven't been able to explore because or our morning language classes. Doing these music things really makes me feel at home and as if there is actually a place in Marseille where I belong! :-D...despite language barriers.

I dropped the ball on the updating every two days...and both Lisa and my mom reminded me to write..and I still forgot. I believe Katie's most recent quote was "Courtney, do you have the memory of a goldfish?" This might be true!

I know there aren't any big reports in this email...but i just ask that you rejoice with me in the fact that I have found a place to play at open mike nights (and I think they even have a piano!) and that our time at the concert went so well.

Pray that I will find a couple of bands that I can follow, simply to get in with their groupies :-) And pray that I will be able to be disciplined and get together a set of music that I can play at an open mike night.

Thanks guys for all your prayers!

NOTE: Ladies, if you ever come to France, don't make eye contact with a gentleman in the club...cause he just might come over and play an invisible piano for you while dancing....

8 comments:

LISA said...

Oh come on, the invisible piano is the new thing!!! I thought I taught you better. Ha Ha Glad you found a place to sing your little heart out in.

Anonymous said...

Curt said "was he any good?" Har har.More pictures, s'l vous plait?

Anonymous said...

oops, misspelling.


s'il vous plait

Cody Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cody Smith said...

It is awesome to hear that He is creating openings for you in the hearts of His people. My prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

I can see you groovin to the tunes and may they be turned into marvelous "melodies" as the summer opportunities arise for you. Keeping you close in heart & prayer.

Anonymous said...

You should try to get the video of the guitar solo on here! He really was good!

~Tiffany

Anonymous said...

I found a photo postcard in a walmart parking lot in Glendale Arizona. It said "pray for Courtney", so I thought I'd look up your Website. You had a neat Bible verse, and I was curious about what you were doing with the "French University". I started reading your May blog and it mentions something about hanging out at bars and drinking. It took me by surprise.