Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 1- Leon to San Martin-27.2 km

Today we started our journey. We left Leon at 8AM and headed toward Villadangos del Pamaro. That was 22km away and to our surprise, we reached the town by around noon. The path reminded me a lot of AZ. Brown, kinda flat, bushes. We had great conversation as a group, but we didn’t come along too many other pilgrims along the way. Today was Sunday so when we reached Villadangos we found a “Banederia” which was a snack shop and decided it was our only option for food. They had bread, chorizo, cheese, empenadas, and fruit. The peach I got was GLORIOUS!! So for 2,72 euros, I had a cheese sandwich and 2 peaches!

We reached Villadangos in such good timing, that we decided to go on to the next town, San Martin. We pushed on even though personally I could feel the tension in my muscles. I also got a cramp in my side. But after a few minutes of deep breathing, it went away.

When we reached San Martin, the auberge Santa Ana, was about 100m up the main road. We had called ahead from Villadangos to make sure they had room and they let us reserve rooms. We spent the afternoon reading, sleeping, showering, stretching, and eating. Just relaxing. We had an incident with the showers and half the girls ended up taking cold showers!

For dinner we ate “Tortillas” it’s a Spanish dish that is like a huge omelet with potatoes, egg, and ours had green pepper. Also we had salad and bread. All that for 1,44 euros!! It was VERY filling.

After dinner I went to the back of the auberge to check my laundry I had hung. My towel dries SO fast! Its crazy. While I was out there I noticed a girl soaking her foot in the canal that passes thru. Her name was Myriam and she was German. She was walking the path with her sister and 2 friends. It was cool to talk to her and hear her story. She has been on the trail 9 days now.

I was also surprised at how friendly everyone is along the trail. Passing cars honk and passing bikers or walkers say “Bien camino!” I’m not TOO sore, but my muscles are sore. Will need to stretch in the morning!

Prayer:

  • Myriams foot, its hurt and swollen
  • Divine appointments
  • Unity in group/positive attitudes
  • Ears to hear
  • Eyes to See
  • Safety and Strength

No comments: