Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 3- Astorga to Foncebadon- 26.3 km

Big Day in many ways. We hiked total 30km today. The plan was 27, but it was 3km to get out of town. We left and 6:05AM. It was chilly and the sun hadn’t risen yet. But we hiked 21km by 11:30! The last 6km were BRUTAL!!! It was uphill and there were moments of very steep inclines. Everyone made it although we were all sore, some peoples feet are in bad shape and now we are all exhausted.

Originally we had planned on going only to Villadangos del camino, but last night decided to go a little further. So that last 6km was to Foncebadon. When we got here, we realized that it’s a SMALL town with only about 20 houses, 10 or which are in ruins, 2 auberges, 1 hotel, and 2 restraunts. Right before we arrived, kate, Galen, Heidi, and Taylor took the last 4 spots in the 1st auberge. We went to the second and by the time we waited in line they only had 15 beds left!!1 So we took 7 of them. PTL!! However, there was a group of 6 of us that left Astorga at 8AM instead of 6AM. They arrived much later, around 3 or 4PM, instead of 1PM. By the time they got here, we had seen 100s of pilgrims turned away. But they found a place in the hotel for 25euros/person! Expensive, but at least they have a place to sleep.

At one point, I went to their hotel looking for them, but couldn’t understand the girl. I thought she was telling me there wasn’t a hotel there. So I went to the auberge section and found Vy who started to show me where, when we met the same girl and Vy translated. She was saying I couldn’t go up there unless I had paid. Ok!….so then I went down with Vy to the Auberge section to say hey to those of our group there and to have Kate text Katie and tell her Patou and Julie had arrived. Well while I was talking to Kate, before I could get the story out, this SAME girl came into the room. “What is your name!?!” she asked “Courtney” I said. And then she procceded to say the same thing as before in Spanish. So apparently I wasn’t supposed to be in the hotel section OR the auberge section. So I leave the room and in the hall I meet Vy and I tell him the rest of the story to pass on to kate. As I’m mid sentence, the owner guy comes around the corner and yells at me and points to the door! So Vy folloes me outside and I finished the story. I think the girl thought I was being insubbordenant and rude. I just didn’t understand! Lost in Translation!

Along the road today, God and I had a great moment. On the last 6km, I prayed that as I was alone, that God would direct my thoughts. That I wouldn’t spend that time thinking of silly things.

So he directed my thoughts to Phillipians 4:8 “Whatever is pure, knoble…think upon these things.” But I couldn’t remember the verse exactly, so I pulled out my Bible. But I felt God was telling me to start at the beginning. I decided since I was alone, to read out loud and almost immediately I was brought to tears. Man the Word has Power!!! But God gave me a new outlook on Phillipians. He showed it to me not as the reader, but as the writer. Pauls sadness and happiness in his seperation from the Phillipians. His willingness to turn the ministry over to others and his desire to see others succeed in the ministry there, not just him. It was as if I could have written it for my exit from France. I don’t want to leave, but sometimes God’s timing is different than we want it to be. And His is ALWAYS better. I’m not sure that this view of Phillipians was a for sure “You should go home!” but it was definitely a start. I have been asking God to speak and today, he certainly did. Continue to speak Lord!

Quote of the Day:

“With every step, I feel I give a little bit more of myself” –Alice

Prayer:

  • Praise:Downhill tomorrow!!
  • Feet
  • Unity (God is blessing in this area)
  • Place to stay
  • Continued Direction from God
  • Divine Appointments (We are seeing a lot of the same people in the hostels)

No comments: